What is a built-in grill, you ask? It’s a grill that’s part of an island or countertop, often with a countertop over it. It can be used to grill food for a party or just for yourself.
Built-in grills are becoming increasingly popular because they save space and look great. In this article, I’ll explain everything you need to know about them.
In this post we'll cover:
- 1 Grilling 101: A Beginner’s Guide to Built-In Grills
- 2 Grill Shopping: What’s the Best Built-In Grill For Your Outdoor Kitchen?
- 3 What Do I Need to Know About Built-In Grills?
- 4 Things to Consider Before Investing in a Built-in Model Grill
- 5 How to Transform a Freestanding Grill into a Built-in
- 6 Differences
Grilling 101: A Beginner’s Guide to Built-In Grills
The Dream of an Outdoor Kitchen
Ah, the dream of an outdoor kitchen. Who doesn’t love the idea of grilling up some delicious food in the great outdoors? But when it comes to selecting the perfect built-in grill for your outdoor kitchen, it can be a bit overwhelming. With so many brands, sizes, and features to choose from, how do you know which one is right for you?
Things to Consider
When it comes to choosing the right built-in grill for your outdoor kitchen, there are a few things you’ll need to consider:
- Size and Space: The size of your outdoor kitchen space will determine the size of your grill. Generally, built-in grills range from 34 to 40 inches. If you have a smaller patio space, you may want to opt for a smaller grill.
- Cooking Surface Area: How much cooking surface area do you need? If you have a large family or entertain a lot, you may want to opt for a larger grill.
- Materials: What materials will your outdoor kitchen be made from? This will help you determine the type of grill you need.
- Expansion: What are your future plans for expansion? This will help you determine the size of the grill you should get.
When it comes to selecting the right size grill for your outdoor kitchen, it’s all about comfort. Most people opt for a grill between 34 and 40 inches. This is a size that most people are already used to in a freestanding grill. On the smaller end of the scale, this will give you three burners, and on the high end, it could give you four to five.
But of course, you don’t have to stick to this size range. If you have a larger outdoor kitchen space, you may want to opt for a larger grill. For example, the Twin Eagles 54-inch Built-In grill is a great option for larger outdoor kitchen spaces. Not only does it provide more cooking surface area, but it also allows you to create different cooking zones.
When selecting a built-in grill, you’ll also need to keep in mind the size of the counter space you have available. If your counter space is limited and your outdoor kitchen island or peninsula is only ten feet long, you’ll need to be more selective about the size of the grill you choose. A 36-inch grill is about three feet wide, so you’ll need to make sure you have enough room for it.
You’ll also need to make sure there is enough space for your grill hood to open. Generally, we recommend at least 3.75 inches behind the surface of the grill to make sure the hood can open and not bump into anything else.
Planning Your Layout
Creating a physical or digital drawing of your outdoor kitchen space will help you determine what other accessories you’ll be able to fit in. Do you want a sink? A cooler? An extra side burner? By planning out your layout, you’ll be able to determine what other features you can include in your outdoor kitchen.
So, if you’re looking for the perfect built-in grill for your outdoor kitchen, make sure to consider the size, space, materials, and future plans for expansion. With a bit of planning, you’ll be able to find the perfect grill for your outdoor kitchen space.
Grill Shopping: What’s the Best Built-In Grill For Your Outdoor Kitchen?
Best Budget Built-In Grill
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly built-in grill, Delta Heat is the way to go. Manufactured in the USA, Delta Heat is a subsidiary of the high quality, reliable grill manufacturer Twin Eagles. You get the same great quality product at a lower price point, and you can even add a searing burner for the perfect caramelization. Plus, Delta Heat has all the accessories and essentials you need to complete your outdoor kitchen.
Best Luxury Built-In Grill
When you’re looking for a luxury built-in grill, Alfresco, Twin Eagles, and Lynx are the way to go. Lynx’s lower priced line, Sedona, is a great option for those looking for a high quality product at a lower price. This 36-inch model comes with three 23,000 BTU burners and nearly 900 square inches of cooking space. Plus, Sedona has all the accessories and essentials you need to make your outdoor kitchen complete.
Tips for Grill Shopping
Grill shopping can be a daunting task, but here are a few tips to make it easier:
- Make sure you’re “married to the cutout” of the unit you choose. Different grill manufacturers have different specs, so you want to be sure you’re getting the right one.
- Invest in quality appliances. Island modifications can be costly, so it’s best to buy the best you can afford.
- Don’t forget the accessories! You want to make sure you have everything you need to make your outdoor kitchen complete.
What Do I Need to Know About Built-In Grills?
If you’re looking to upgrade your outdoor kitchen, you’ve probably been thinking about getting a built-in grill. But before you make the plunge, there are a few things you should know.
First off, size matters. You want to make sure your grill is big enough to fit all your grilling needs, but not so big that it takes over your entire outdoor space.
Also, you’ll want to consider the features. LED-lit knobs, interior lighting, and other bells and whistles can really take your grilling game to the next level.
Finding the Right Grill
When it comes to finding the perfect built-in grill, it’s all about the details. You’ll want to make sure you’re getting the best bang for your buck, so it’s important to do your research.
The good news is, you don’t have to go it alone. There are plenty of experts out there who can help you find the right grill for your needs. They can answer all your questions, discuss your goals, and help you figure out the best option for your outdoor kitchen.
The BBQ Depot
If you’re looking for a one-stop shop for all your grilling needs, look no further than the BBQ Depot. They carry a wide selection of high-quality grills, plus all the accessories you need to create the outdoor kitchen of your dreams.
From briquettes and trays to spare knobs and insulating jackets, the BBQ Depot has it all. So don’t wait any longer – contact them today and get ready to grill like a pro!
Things to Consider Before Investing in a Built-in Model Grill
The Benefits of Built-in Grills
If you’re looking for a way to up your grilling game, investing in a built-in model grill is the way to go! Not only do they look sleek and stylish, but they also come with a ton of awesome benefits:
- They’re incredibly easy to use, so you don’t have to be a master chef to get the job done.
- They’re much more efficient than traditional grills, so you can get your food cooked faster.
- They’re great for entertaining, so you can host the best BBQs in town.
- They’re much more durable than other grills, so you can use them for years to come.
Things to Consider
If you’re convinced that a built-in model grill is the way to go, here are a few things to consider before you invest:
- The size and space of your garden or patio: Make sure the size of your outdoor kitchen is your top priority when selecting a grill. If you have a larger outdoor space, you can go for a bigger built-in grill. But if you have a smaller patio, you should opt for a smaller one.
- Cooking surface area: You’ll also want to consider the size of the cooking area. The bigger the cooking area, the more food you can cook.
- Intents of use: How do you plan on using your built-in grill? If you’re hosting big parties often, you’ll want to go for a larger grill. But if you’re just cooking for your family, a smaller one should do the trick.
If you’re hosting a larger BBQ party, you can use the internal warming rack to keep food warm. And if you’re feeling extra creative, you can even make your own built-in grill! Check out this awesome one this guy made.
How to Transform a Freestanding Grill into a Built-in
If you’re looking to give your freestanding grill a built-in look without spending a fortune, you can do so by building a grill surround. To make sure your grill is safe and secure, you’ll need to use materials that are fireproof, such as bricks and mortar or concrete.
Before you get started on this project, it’s important to consider safety and ventilation, as well as the strength and integrity of the grill itself. Not all freestanding grills can be converted to built-in grills this way, so make sure to check with your manufacturer to see if they approve this type of conversion and what the recommended clearances are around the grill to maintain sufficient airflow.
When it comes to prepping your grill for the conversion, you’ll want to remove any unnecessary pieces from the structure, such as the folding sides. This is to ensure that you don’t damage the structural integrity of the grill and make it unsafe to use. Measure carefully before making your building plans, and make sure you can access the fuel source. You don’t want to accidentally seal your grill into the surround and lose the mobility and flexibility that freestanding grills provide.
If you’re feeling up to the challenge, there are plenty of DIY plans available for building a BBQ grill surround. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- 12 DIY BBQ Island Plans at The Spruce
- How to Build a Grilling Island from HGTV
- How to Build a Grilling Island from Lowes
Built-In Vs Standalone Grill
When it comes to grills, you have two main options: freestanding and built-in. Freestanding grills are the more popular option, as they’re cheaper and come with a variety of fuel sources. Plus, they’re mobile, so you can rearrange your patio or put it in storage for the winter. On the other hand, built-in grills are designed to be strong and efficient, and can handle harsh weather conditions. They’re more expensive, but you get what you pay for – they’re built to last. So, if you’re looking for a grill that can stand the test of time, a built-in is the way to go. But if you want something that’s more affordable and can be moved around, a freestanding grill is your best bet.