If you enjoy the flavor and aroma of smoked meat and slow cooked food then you’ll love the Camp Chef PG24 review.
It’s perfect for outdoor cooking and you’ll have plenty of fun with it when hosting family BBQs during the summer as it’ll turn you into a legendary pitmaster at your neighborhood block parties.
The great thing about the Camp Chef pellet grill (we’ve got some more pellet smoker models reviewed here) is that although it’s kitted out with the latest cutting-edge features, it’s still simple enough for even the most inexperienced cook to use. Most of the features are straightforward and setup is a breeze.
Meanwhile, grill masters appreciate the various built-in features incorporated into it, which make cooking a fun and enjoyable experience.
Not only does the Camp Chef pellet grill offer a clean flavor free from chemicals and ash residue but it also produces less ash and it has a convenient set it and forget it feature. If you’re interested in buying this grill, then read on to find out more about it in our comprehensive Camp Chef PG24 pellet grill review below.
Camp Chef PG24 DLX Pellet Grill Important Features
The Camp Chef PG24 pellet grill is decked out with all the features you’ll need to grill and smoke meat and vegetables to perfection. These features are incorporated to make your life easier while enhancing the grill’s overall performance.
Electronic Auto Start Ignition
The last thing you need to deal with is a fussy grill that requires you to constantly check the temperature, heat distribution and fuel. The Camp Chef PG24 makes grilling a cinch through set it and forget it features like the automatic pellet auger which chucks the wood pellets into the fire pot for you.
Then there’s the auto start ignition which allows the grill to automatically ignite the pellets without your intervention. The control of this process comes through the temperature control unit, while the wood pellets are delivered to the fire pot through the auger.
Digital Control System
With this model, you can easily control the heat through the dedicated digital temperature control unit. This particular feature allows you to customize the temperature by setting it in accordance with the type of meat that you’re cooking. This means that all you have to do is set the temperature once and leave it to cook without any further intervention from you.
Also read review another model from camp chef Camp Chef Woodwind SG Review
This is the true definition of “set-it-and-forget-it” because the smoker will do all the dirty work for you, like burning the fuel required to maintain the set temperature. You can always keep a close eye on the temperature if you like to make sure that it’s still fine, using the Dual LED temperature readout. The efficiency of this feature is a testament to Camp Chef’s Smart Smoke Technology.
Pellet hopper size is one of the most important considerations to make when buying a pellet smoker. That’s because you want a pellet smoker that’s large enough to handle a sizeable amount of pellets so you only need to load them up once. A large pellet hopper makes it easier for you to slow cook food and take advantage of the set it and forget it feature.
The meat probe is another important element to consider in a smoker and luckily this model comes with a very durable one. This feature allows you to gauge the meat’s temperature without disturbing the heat. It’s easy to use because you just stick one end of the probe inside the meat and another into the input socket. The temperature will display on the digital LED output monitor. You can rely on this reading because this meat probe is considered to be one of the most accurate on the market.
Box Lid Thermometer
Without proper temperature control, you might as well kiss that perfect smoked brisket goodbye. But accurate temperature control requires that you get the temperature reading from inside the cooking chamber. The meat probe gives you the temperature of the cooking chamber by measuring the temperature both inside and outside the meat. Plus, the thermometer’s sensor is one of the most reliable on the market.
Easy to Clean
While grilling and smoking meat is a favorite pastime for many, the fun stops when the cleaning process begins. That’s because a lot of grease and debris comes out from the grilling process. You don’t have to worry about that with the Camp Chef PG24 as the interior design allows the grease drippings to automatically empty out into a bucket. All you need to do to keep the grill clean is throw out the grease in the bucket and you’re good to go.
Removable Ash Cup
The removable ash cup makes it easier to dispose of excess ash after every grilling session. All you need to do is pull at the designated knob and the pellet ash will fall into the ash cup which you can just throw out to keep your grill clean.
Another great thing about this smoker is that it comes with a dedicated accessories box that you can use to keep all your grilling gear. Knowing that your grilling accessories are in one place means you’ll never lose or misplace them again.
This grill is conveniently portable, which is great news for anyone that wants to invest in one grill for use both indoors and outdoors. The durable castors on it add to its durability and allow it to withstand frequent outdoor use without falling apart.
There’s a chimney at the back of this smoker for added temperature control and to help create that perfect smoky flavor. The top is ergonomically designed to prevent uncontrollable water dripping, and we appreciate the thoughtful design of the warming rack which is sturdy yet easy to clean. You’ll also find a recipe book with all the smoker recipes you need to make the most of this unit.
The following are some of the top benefits offered by the Camp Chef PG24 based on raving user reviews.
- Easy to Assemble – This unit is so easy to set up and install that it should be a breeze for even the least experienced users. There’s even a step-by-step video tutorial online on how to install it properly so the manufacturer has covered all the basics when it comes to this. Like we mentioned, there’s even a recipe book to help get you started on a few classic recipes while you get acquainted with this smoker.
- High Temperature – There are plenty of high tech grills and smokers on the market that promise the moon and the stars when it comes to smoking meat, but very few are capable of actual delivery. This Camp Chef model is capable of reaching 500-degree temperature levels which means you can use it to sear and grill steak to perfection.
- You Can Easily Monitor the Cooking – One of the challenges you’ll face when using a grill is that you can’t really tell how the food is doing until it’s done and you lift the lid. Well, this won’t be an issue anymore when you use the Camp Chef because it comes with a meat probe that allows you to check the temperature and progress of the meat while it’s still cooking.
- You Don’t Have to Worry about the Fuel – The pellet hopper in this model can handle 20 pounds of pellets at a time, which means you won’t have to worry about constantly refilling it. Furthermore, the pellets are automatically distributed to the fire to maintain your preferred cooking temperature throughout.
- Large Cooking Area – This model comes with a very generous cooking area that measures 560 cubic inches which is enough to cater for a proper party. Plus, you can continue to use the right side of the unit for food preparation while the smokestack does its thing at the back.
- Easy to Clean – This is one of the easiest to clean smokers on the market. It comes with a convenient ash catcher and warming rack that allows you to easily dispose of collected debris, grease and ash.
While the Camp Chef PG24 comes with plenty of benefits, it has its fair share of disadvantages as well.
- Uses a Lot of Power – This unit uses an electric auto start ignition and requires a lot of power to start up. So it’s not the most energy-efficient model out there.
- A Bit Heavy – This hefty smoker weighs 128 pounds and is not built for frequent traveling. Even with the durable roller wheels, it’s not suitable for use on the go.
Check prices and availability here
The Camp Chef PG 24 is the perfect grill because it works both for beginners and seasoned grillers. It has all the features you want in a smoker/ grill combo and it’s durable as well. Camp Chef might be new to the smoker manufacturing industry but they obviously did their research because this unit ticks all the boxes.
It offers superior heat distribution and retention, as well as easy setup and clean up, not to mention the handy meat probe feature. You can use it to smoke and grill different types of meat and vegetables and you won’t feel challenged or disappointed with its performance regardless of your experience level.
Well, that’s the end of our Camp Chef PG24 Review and we hope it has been helpful to you.