There’s no better way to make the most of a sunny day than to kick back with a good old-fashioned barbeque.
Whether you’re hosting friends for the day or enjoying an evening with the family, you can’t go wrong with baby back ribs.
Read on for an easy to master recipe using a pellet smoker, as well as recommendations of the best pellets to use for your prized grill.
In this post we'll cover:
Pellet Smoked Baby Back Ribs Recipe
While a pellet smoker is great for several different meats, the fuel-efficient quality of this fine cooker makes it perfect for smoking ribs.
Read on for a simple yet succulent recipe that works wonders every time.
Pellet Smoked Baby Back Ribs
- 2 racks baby back pork ribs
- 1-2 cups apple juice
- Southern style BBQ sauce
- BBQ dry rub of your choice
Homemade dry rub
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- A dry rub gives your meat a nice crust to work with. Though ingredients can be interchangeable, be sure to use some kind of sugar, pepper and paprika to create satisfying taste, texture and color.
- Mix ingredients well and place in a spice shaker.
- Spread rub generously onto front and back of ribs before first smoke on the grill.
Baby Back Ribs
- Add your chosen flavour of wood pellets to your smoker and preheat to 225 degrees with the lid closed.
- Remove the membrane on the back side of the ribs with a knife and paper towel.
- Rub generously with dry rub.
- Place the seasoned baby back ribs on your grill and smoke for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove ribs from the smoker and wrap in aluminium foil.
- Generously marinate ribs with apple juice, seal the foil and return ribs to the grill for another 2 hours.
- Remove ribs and coat them with BBQ sauce, then place back on the grill for 15 mins.
- Keep an eye on the grill during this final stage so the coatings don’t burn.
- Let the ribs rest on the grill for 10 mins, then serve nice and hot.
Don’t feel like making your own dry rub? We like this ready made Pork and Poultry Rub from Traeger Grills.
What are the Best Pellets to Use for Smoker Baby Back Ribs?
As a main course, baby back ribs are great, but smoke them with the right pellets and you have a winning combination.
There are a range of pellets you can use for smoking ribs, but here are some that come highly recommended.
- Apple: Most often used for pork or poultry, applewood produces a light, fruity smoke that enhances taste and mixes well with other flavors.
- Cherry: Similar to apple, cherry wood has a light, mild taste but gives great flavor and color to your meat.
- Hickory: Hickory wood has a stronger smokey taste, but can complement the natural flavor of your ribs wonderfully.
- Mesquite: Also a bold flavor, mesquite wood is excellent for ribs and other strong-flavored meats.
- Pecan: Pecan wood offers a sweet, nutty finish that is rich and blends well with other flavors.
- Mix: For a more creative combination, this mix of hickory, cherry, maple, and applewood comes highly recommended.
What Makes Baby Back Ribs Special?
Go beyond your classic hot dogs and hamburgers this summer, and impress your guests with a tasty new cut.
Baby back ribs may take longer to cook, and be slightly more expensive, but that’s only because they’re so in demand.
They’re great for grilling or smoking, and also take well to seasoning rubs and sauces.
Despite a common misconception, baby back ribs get their name because they are shorter in relation to bigger spareribs. They come from the upper back, not a baby pig.
Both rich in flavor and very tender if cooked right, this is a juicy cut that will leave your guests wanting more.
Benefits of Using a Pellet Smoker
Smoking food in a pellet smoker is a culinary adventure with many benefits.
- It adds an authentic smokey flavor to your food
- You get a grill and smoker in one, meaning its great value for money
- Safe and simple to use
- Works very efficiently
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Perfect for cooking a range of meats
A pellet smoker is a worthwhile investment that lasts, giving you a lifetime’s worth of memories. Check out these great pellet smokers and start cooking with style.