Before you consider getting that commercial smoker for your BBQ restaurant, you need to consider its size, function, as well as the type of fuel it uses, among other factors.
The best and authentic BBQ is typically prepared in a smoker or a homemade pit, not on a grill—this means, your BBQ restaurant needs a commercial smoker—if you ever want to impress your customers.
Let’s take a look at what you will need to consider when buying one of these.
If you’re serious about smoking but want the easiest and most time saving option available, I would definitely recommend this Bradley Digital commercial smoker.
You can set it with lot’s of out-of-the-box settings and it practically does the smoking for you.
Here’s a video with masterchef Brett McGregor where you can see how it all works:
Getting the right commercial smoker for your barbecue restaurant is important since the smoker you choose to buy will directly affect your day to day operations in your kitchen.
Besides, the smoker will also have a big impact on the texture of the meat that you decide to smoke. In this post, we shall highlight different types of smokers that, and also other factors that you need to consider before making your decision.
If you’re looking for just a good meat smoker for personal use read this in stead
|Best electric commercial smoker: Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker||(view more images)|
|Best Real Wood Fire Commercial Smoker: KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit||(view more images)|
|Best gas commercial smoker: Landmann USA 3495GLA||(view more images)|
|Best wood pellet commercial smoker: Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill with Sear Box||(view more images)|
|Best charcoal commercial smoker: Fire Magic Charcoal BBQ Smoker||(view more images)|
In this post we'll cover:
- 1 What should you consider before buying your commercial smoker?
- 2 Here are the best commercial smokers
- 2.1 Best electric commercial smoker: Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker
- 2.2 Best Real Wood Fire Commercial Smoker: KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit
- 2.3 Best gas commercial smoker: Landmann USA 3495GLA
- 2.4 Best wood pellet commercial smoker: Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill with Sear Box
- 2.5 Best charcoal commercial smoker: Fire Magic Charcoal BBQ Smoker
- 3 Best books on smoking meat
- 4 The best smoker thermometers
What should you consider before buying your commercial smoker?
Purchasing a commercial smoker can be a challenge since it requires you to put some factors and elements into consideration before making your final choice.
Here are some of the major factors that you need to put into consideration before buying your commercial smoker.
The location that you intend to install your smoker is the first thing that you need to put into consideration before buying your commercial smoker.
The safety regulations governing commercial smokers in restaurants and public areas differ, depending on your location.
Some commercial smokers are designed for stationary use, while others are designed to be pulled on trailers, and also to be moved.
If you are planning to buy an outdoor smoker for your restaurant, then you should ensure that you follow all the rules governing its setup in your area.
Most cities that allow restaurants to have their commercial smokers outdoors have regulations that determine how far the smoker should be from the building, the type of ventilation system the smoker has, the maintenance of the unit, as well as how its fuel is stored.
Outdoor commercial smokers come with a number of benefits. Since most of these smokers come with portability features, they are ideal for restaurants that attract their new customers through outdoor fairs and food events.
Outdoor commercial smokers are less expensive and much easier to set up since they don’t need any interior installation. In addition to this, BBQ pros sat that outdoor smokers can produce the best results in terms of the texture and flavor of the food.
If your restaurant is located in a densely populated or fire-prone area, then you are not legally allowed to have an outdoor smoker.
However, you will be required to have an indoor smoker if you desire serving authentic barbecue. Indoor commercial smokers will be your only option, and their installation require experts.
Just like outdoor smokers, indoor smokers come in different sizes and configurations.
Some indoor smokers are vertical in shape, which makes them ideal for restaurant kitchens that have a small footprint. Others are short, and their design allows them to be installed under workspaces.
Before you choose any indoor smoker, it is advisable to ensure that you take the measurements of the available space in your kitchen.
In addition, you need to ensure that you know how the ventilation system will function—and whether you will need to make any structural changes in your kitchen for the installation to be complete.
When you go out shopping for your commercial smoker, you should make sure that you search for a smoker that can last for a long period of time without the need of repairing or renewing it frequently.
A durable commercial smoker does not only save you money for repairs, or that you would have used to purchase another, but it will also save you a lot of time that you’d spent repairing it in case it broke down.
Therefore, it is essential to check whether the smoker has a limited lifetime or long term warranty.
Because you will be buying your smoker for commercial purposes, it is essential to ensure that you search for a smoker that can meet your demand within a very short period of time.
Therefore, you should ensure that you check the size of the cooking surface, the number of racks, as well as the capacity of the smoker’s BTU’s before purchasing it.
Temperature control and adjustment
The best smoker should allow you to control or adjust its temperature—this is a key thing you should consider before when buying a commercial smoker.
Therefore, always check whether the smoker has temperature adjustment and control—as this is an essential feature.
These features not only assist in preventing food from being overcooked or burnt, but they also save you valuable time that you might spend waiting and monitoring your smoker.
Most commercial smokers that are designed with stainless steel tend to perform better and even last for an extended period of time. Stainless steel material also prevents these smokers from fading or rusting.
Therefore, you need to check the material used to design and construct the smoker before making your decision.
Here are the best commercial smokers
Best electric commercial smoker: Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker
The Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker comes with a number of notable features that will find with the best commercial smokers out there in the market.
One amazing thing about the Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker is that it comes with digital technology, which makes it easier to control the cooking time, temperature, and smoke.
This assists you in determining the amount of smoke you need, the time you need your food smoked, and the temperature that you want to smoke your food.
This is the smoker that you need for complete house entertainment, and preparing special foods, either outdoors or indoors.
The Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker will allow you to enjoy the flavor that comes with real smoking fully.
When you get this commercial smoker, you will get the opportunity to enjoy its stress-free methods when you want to smoke, BBQ, and even roast. You will always get the best flavor from this smoker.
- The Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker is completely insulated, which makes it possible to smoke on hot or cold days while retaining the desired smoking temperature.
- The smoker comes with an internal temperature sensor, which makes the cooking process much simpler.
- It’s made of 100% stainless steel interior, which gives the smoker remarkable heat retention, and also makes the clean-up process much simpler.
- The Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker is very reliable because of its precision when it comes to producing the best and tasty smoked foods.
- It is very easy to control this electric commercial smoker, and it’s also much more versatile compared to other commercial smokers out there in the market.
- The electric smoker comes equipped with a number of features, including electric control insulated cabinet, as well as an auto smoke generator, which allows the smoker to eliminate extreme changes in temperature, as well as any disruption in smoke production. With the Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker, you will always enjoy the great smoking experience and get the perfect taste for your meals.
- The Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker is constructed with high-grade materials.
- It features 6 cooking racks and full digital control
- Come with 9 different flavors of hardwoods
- Can produce up to 280 degrees F of heat.
- Another notable thing about the Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker is that it comes equipped separate burners for smoke and oven.
- The Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker can smoke for 8 hours continuously.
What you need to note about the Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker is that it’s one of today’s best pellet smokers and it’s very solid and durable.
It’s the recommended product for anyone who needs outstanding grilling equipment that is consistent, and with 100% convenient for cooking.
Best Real Wood Fire Commercial Smoker: KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit
The KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit is one of the best-preferred smokers by many people. Many people who have used this smoker consider it to be one of the most innovative BBQ smokers to be constructed in the modern-day.
The KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit will always give you amazing quality of smoked meat and food.
One notable thing about this smoker is that it uses real wood fire—not gas, charcoal, pellet, or electric heat.
With is inverted flame, the KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit automatically produces perfect thin-blue smoke and comes with a control box that maintains the smoker’s temperature automatically.
If you are searching for a real smoker with functions that won’t give you headaches, heartaches, and stress, then consider going for the KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit.
- So long as you can place a log into a box, you can easily produce the perfect thin blue smoker and great BBQ with the amazing KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit.
- Can hold up to 60 pounds of capacity with 12-position racks
- The KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit comes with 4 wire shelves, which are easily exchangeable with full-size hotel steam pans.
- The smoker has 3-inch wheels, pre-mounted on its rare legs.
The KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit is the perfect choice for you if you desire some amazing grilling experience with lots of versatility.
It will give you the ideal smoky flavor you need for your cooking, roasting, and baking of biscuits, pizzas, hot dogs, burgers, veggies, ribs, and steaks.
Best gas commercial smoker: Landmann USA 3495GLA
Most people love the Landmann USA 3495GLA because it comes with heat-saving benefits, and offers easy access to its drawers whenever you need entry into the water pan and woodchip box.
The Landmann USA 3495GLA has a distinctive feature, which plays an important role when it comes to keeping the temperatures stabilized for smoking.
You can smoke a wide variety of foods with this smoker, including beef, turkey, venison, fish, chicken, and others.
- The Landmann USA 3495GLA comes with durable welded hinges on its door
- It has magnetic closings which assist in keeping the door securely closes and for easy opening too
- The Landmann USA 3495GLA comes with 4 adjustable chrome-plated meat hanger and cooking grates.
- One notable thing about the Landmann USA 3495GLA is its square-wide stance legs for improved stability.
- This grill has cast brass burners and rotary igniter which are very durable
- Made of rust-proof material
- Comes with a 10-year warranty
- The Landmann USA 3495GLA is the perfect smoker for anyone who is searching for a high-quality smoker, which can still produce amazing grilling results. This grill burns cleaner and hotter and will assist you to smoke or cook your food with remarkable flavor.
Best wood pellet commercial smoker: Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill with Sear Box
If you are tired of messing up your food whenever you decide to grill, the Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill is the ideal pellet grill to smoke, bake and roast your food with little stress.
With this grill, you will no longer complain about bad grilling times, and it will turn you into the pro you’ve always desired to be. You only need to fire up the grill and allow it to roast, smoke, or bake your favorite food as you do other activities.
- The grill comes with more dynamic features that will allow you to enjoy more delicious food.
- With premium hardwood pellets for fueling, this smoker quickly produces clean heat and smoke, while infusing savory, smoky taste within your food.
- This smoker comes equipped with SMART SMOKE TECHNOLOGY to maintain heat for you while producing an optimal volume of smoke.
- Allows you to cook at the desired temperature from between 160° F and 500° F.
- Has a spacious cooking area of about 570 square inches.
With the Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill, you will always achieve remarkable results—no matter whatever you are smoking, baking, grilling, barbecuing, or searing. You should consider getting this product if you have not yet settled on a particular smoker.
Best charcoal commercial smoker: Fire Magic Charcoal BBQ Smoker
The Fire Magic Charcoal BBQ Smoker is a product of FireMagic, a manufacturer of premium stainless steel charcoal and gas grills, which are well preferred by many people around the globe.
If you don’t know, the Fire Magic Charcoal Bbq Smoker is one of the best commercial smokers you will find out there in the market.
The smoker is made of commercial-grade quality materials, and it’s a real hi-tech commercial smoker. In addition to this, the smoker comes with around 5 trays to hold your favorite foods as you smoke.
The smoker also comes with dual top smokestacks, as well as air intake at the bottom of the heating chamber, which allows clear-cut temperature control.
This commercial smoker is also equipped with a digital thermometer and meat probe, for improved accuracy and convenience whenever you are cooking.
- The Best charcoal commercial smoker has a well-insulated door—which an adjustable seal
- You will get a cooking surface area of around 1640 sq. in.
- Comes with 5 removable racks
- It has a removable tray for convenience when it comes to cleaning the grill
- It’s made of commercial-grade stainless steel
- Remarkable temperature range of up to 450 degrees F
- Has a cooking capacity of up to 6 cubic feet
The Best charcoal commercial smoker will not give you a hard time when it comes to its usage and can be transported with lots of ease. This is the smoker you should consider using on your day to day smoking activities.
Best books on smoking meat
Smoking Meat: The Essential Guide to Real Barbecue
This is the recommended book for anyone who is new to smoking and grilling. Not only does the book come with over 200 pages of true southern smoking, but its author is also a passionate griller who loves the taste of smoking meat to perfection.
In the book, the author gives detailed explanations of basic grilling and smoking techniques, which you can put into action immediately if you want to achieve that delicious taste of meat. Basically, there is no stone left unturned—from marinating the meat, to different smoking techniques.
One interesting thing about this book is that it highlights techniques for people who don’t own traditional smokers. This means you can start reading the book and then start smoking right away on your traditional grill.
Another interesting thing about the book is that it does not only cover relevant information about the art of smoking; it also covers some other interesting recipes that the author uses. Basically, this book will allow you to become a true southern cook.
Smokin’ With Myron Mixon
Whenever you hear about the best books about smoking, one name should come to your mind—Myron Mixon. This author is not just a backyard griller who loves smoking meat—he’s a renowned champion when it comes to smoking meat. Myron has won more competitions and prizes than any other person in the smoking industry has. In this book, he has given you every secret that has made him succeed in smoking.
Smokin’ With Myron Mixon starts with the simple basics about smoking every griller should know. In case you don’t know which wood you need to purchase, or which smoker or grill you need to choose—you will get all this information once you buy this book. For there, you will start learning champion-level smoking skills from the grand smoking master himself.
The author has included over 75 recipes that he has used to win close to 180 championships. In addition, he has gone ahead to include recipes that you need to make great tasting sauces and marinades to go along with your smoked meat. Even other pro meat smokers find Smokin’ With Myron Mixon has different to their every piece of smoked meat a little more tender and flavorful.
Peace, Love, and Barbeque
This book has been authored by Mike Mills, who is a famed griller, and he has shared all his secrets in the book. The book is full of valuable information for a person who loves grilling. The author owns several world’s famous pits, and he has also won several awards. In this book, Mike has revealed his secrets to perfectly smoked meat.
When you read the book, you will have an inside and deeper look into what you need to know about competitive grilling. From several interviews with some of the world’s best grillers to discovering how the grilling championships run—this book will give you tons of valuable information. The book also provided lies, tales, and even full recipes that will leave your neighbors talking the next time you smoke meat.
The book will provide you with a fun and exciting way to smoke your meat without being bored along the way. With a number of great stories included, the book will give you a fun way to learn grilling and smoking from Mike Mills—one of the world’s greatest smoking masters.
Smoke & Spice- revised edition
This is the best book for any who is new to the world of smokers. The Smoke & Spice- revised edition is full of information on every page—which will leave you with the knowledge that you need to turn your tasteless meat into savory and delicious goodness. Unlike other books about smoking, this book has been revised, and it includes every detail you should know about the smoking process. From the techniques that Bill and Cheryl use to the basic tools that you need when grilling, this book covers it all.
One of the benefits of using this book is learning several recipes from some of the world’s renowned smokers. The Smoke & Spice- revised edition is a book that you should consider owning if you love grilling regularly. This book has over 100 recipes, which will always leave your mouth watering.
Weber’s Smoker: A Guide to Smoke Cooking for Everyone and Any Grill
At times, some of the best grilling and smoking books cover the basics to the most advanced forms of grilling and smoking. This book will not only teach you the most advanced techniques, but it will also allow you to learn the most relevant details of how you can change your grilling and smoking habits to make your meat more flavorful and succulent.
The book includes the tips every pro griller need to know, as well as different ways that you can convert your regular BBQ into a smoking machine. This book has over 85 recipes, which will always leave your meat well smoked and tasting delicious each moment.
One thing you will love about this book is that it’s very well organized. You can open any section to perfect your weak grilling areas whenever you need to do that. The book has included the very basics of smoking—like how much salt you need to add to your meat.
The best smoker thermometers
Top pick – ThermoPro TP20
ThermoPro is popular because of one reason—the company makes some the best quality meat thermometers. The ThermoPro TP20 is our top pick in this option. One thing you will note about the ThermoPro TP20 is that it comes with 2 probes, and they are rated for reading temperatures of up to 716 degrees F.
The ThermoPro TP20 is a professional smoker thermometer that is easy to use. It comes with 9 presets for various types of meats—ground beef, veal, pork, beef, chicken, veal, fish, poultry, and lamb. In addition, these presets will assist you in measuring different levels of doneness to your meat—rare, medium rare, medium, as well as well done.
- Dual Probe design – Like the Smoke, the dual probe design allows you to monitor your smoker and meat simultaneously.
- Large backlit display – Being able to see the unit easily in less than ideal lighting is a great feature.
- 3 YEARS WARRANTY – this thermometer comes with a 3-year warranty. Therefore, make sure that you register your wireless meat thermometer after purchase and increase your warranty coverage from 1 to 3 years.
- The comes equipped with a hands-free monitor – you can easily monitor food or smoker temp when you are up to 300 feet away, enabling you to enjoy your company without continuously excusing yourself.
- Easy setup – the setup is not complicated, which means you will ample time to prepare for your food.
- USDA preset temperature settings – come with 9 preset levels for monitoring the temperature as well doneness of your meat—and these levels are USDA recommended
- Durability – the thermometer features food-grade stainless steel probe with step-down tip design to get temperature more precisely and quickly; Probe wires can withstand up to 716°F
Runner up – Maverick ET-733 Thermometer
The Maverick ET-733 smoker thermometer is considered to be one of the best all-round thermometers you can find out there in the market. In fact, you both backyard BBQ enthusiasts and professional chefs love this thermometer, and you should consider getting it.
The Maverick ET-733 smoker thermometer is an upgraded version of the ET-732, which is also a famous smoker manufactured by Maverick. This new model comes with several improvements, the major one being that it comes with two probes, rather than a single probe like in the ET-732 model.
The Maverick ET-733 smoker thermometer has an upgraded interface, which makes it possible for the user to preset its options. This is one of the best meat smoker thermometers that you should consider buying—putting into consideration its minimum temperature-reading margin, as well as its reliability.
- Backlist screen – allows you to see detailed information
- 2 hybrid probes – makes this thermometer better than its earlier version
- Wireless – Monitor internal temperature of meat from 300 feet away; wireless receiver with LCD beeps and flashes when meat temperature goes above your programmed temperature. The wireless receiver will beep a loss of signal alert if you go out of range for more than a minute.
- 15 preset temperatures – Preprogrammed Temperatures include 15 preset temperatures – 6 for meats, 9 for game meats; All Preprogrammed Temperatures can be reprogrammed to set cooking temperatures to suit your personal taste. Comes with preset temperatures for beef, veal, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, deer, elk, moose, buffalo, rabbit, boar, duck, bird, and fish.
- What’s included – Remote receiver, remote transmitter, ambient probe, meat probe, ambient probe clip, and 4 AAA batteries for out of box use.
Best single probe smoker thermometer: ChefAlarm by ThermoWorks
Today, double probe thermometers have become very popular because of their accuracy and convenience. However, this doesn’t mean that such thermometers are your single option—you can also go for the ChefAlarm single probe thermometer by ThermoWorks. This thermometer is very easy to use and is made of top quality materials. You will never regret buying this thermometer.
Since the ChefAlarm single probe thermometer by ThermoWorks is made out of top quality materials, it’s a sturdy, durable, and reliable thermometer. It will always give you very accurate temperature readings, and this will always happen at extremely fast speed. The ChefAlarm single probe thermometer by ThermoWorks is the ideal thermometer for anyone who likes using single probe thermometers.
- This thermometer comes in a sturdy and durable design. The thermometer has been designed with a 47” stainless steel probe cable, together with silicone buttons and a strong hinge mechanism, which ensures that you will use this thermometer for a number of years.
- The ChefAlarm by ThermoWorks is very fast when it comes to reading temperatures. You only need 4 to 5 seconds to get your readings after inserting the probe cable.
- This thermometer is waterproof, which means you don’t have to worry about getting some of the solution sprayed on the thermometer as you grill.
- It comes with a magnetic back, which enables easy attachment and detachment.
- A user-friendly interface, and a large LCD screen which allows you to view your temperature readings easily.
- Splash-proof design for commercial kitchens
- Uses Pro-Series temperature probes
- Includes Pro-Series High Temp Cooking Probe with a cable to 700°F max temp
- Adjustable high and low alarms
- Always-on Min & Max temperatures
- Adjustable volume to 92dB (4 settings)
- Includes count-down and count-up timer
Also read: the best infrared grill you can buy today